Permission to Complete a Course at another Institution after Matriculation

The policies and procedures stated below are defined in the Transfer Credit Policy for Matriculated Undergraduate Students (Policy # 02.10.18).

Scope of Policy & Rationale

Undergraduate, degree-seeking students are expected to take their courses at Temple in order to fulfill their Temple degree requirements. This policy defines the criteria and circumstances in which transfer credit may be accepted toward the requirements of Temple undergraduate degrees.

Policy Statement

Undergraduate students at Temple may receive credit for courses taken elsewhere if they receive permission in advance, pursuant to this policy.

This policy applies only to transfer credits for courses taken by degree-seeking students after matriculation.

Information on transfer policies and the admissions process is available at

Undergraduate, degree-seeking students may receive credit for two types of transfer courses:

  1. Courses from a Temple-approved study abroad program sponsored by another university or other formal program of study offered jointly by Temple and another institution

    Successful completion of an approved, external study abroad program or formal joint program will be awarded transfer credit.

    To ensure that students appropriately transfer credit for their study abroad, they must complete the approval process prior to registering for the course(s), including any required evaluation of the external program courses:
  2. Courses from another institution

    Students in good academic standing who meet all student and course eligibility criteria may, in accordance with this policy, transfer credit for two (2) summer or special session courses (up to a maximum of 8 credits) taken elsewhere toward their Temple baccalaureate or associates degrees. For certain courses, higher credit totals (up to a maximum of 10 credits in transfer) may be approved, but the equivalent Temple courses must not exceed 8 credits in total.

In order to be approved for transfer credit by their school or college advising unit:

  • The student must submit a petition to take courses elsewhere.
  • The student must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.00 or above at the time of the request.
  • All courses taken elsewhere must have established course equivalencies at Temple.
  • After completion of the course, the student must still meet the Academic Residency Requirements policy (all undergraduate degree candidates must complete 45 of the last 60 credit hours of the degree as matriculated students at Temple).
  • The course cannot be a duplicate of a course for which the student has already received credit.
  • The course cannot be a duplicate of a course previously attempted (earned a letter grade, CR, CD, NC, W or I) at Temple. If a student takes a Temple course after receiving transfer credits for the same course, the transfer credits will be removed.
  • The course cannot be used to satisfy General Education course requirements.
  • Students must have satisfied all prerequisites for courses they are seeking to take elsewhere. Failure to satisfy prerequisites may result in credits not transferring.
  • Completion of the course with a grade of C or better is required for transfer credit to be awarded.
  • The course must comply with all Temple school, college, or department program requirements.
  • Transfer credit is not awarded for internships, practice, field studies or independent studies not supervised by Temple University faculty. Students should check with their school or college academic advisor for exceptions.

Approval Process

To ensure transfer of credit for courses taken at another institution, students should complete the approval process prior to registering for courses elsewhere. Students access the "Petition to Take Courses Elsewhere" form by logging into the TUportal, selecting the Student Tools tab, and under the University Forms channel, selecting Permission to Take Courses Elsewhere. This form will be routed to the student's advising unit for approval.

Additional information can be found by contacting your advising unit or at

Students should also note the following:

  • Credits can only be added after an official transcript is received by Temple University's Admissions Office.
  • Some Temple schools and colleges have additional limitations on the kind or number of transfer credits accepted. For example, some majors have additional residency requirements in addition to the Academic Residency Requirements policy. 
  • To be eligible for Latin Honors at graduation, a student must complete a minimum of 60 semester hours of the program while matriculated at Temple.


  1. Dates of official enactment and amendments
    Adopted by the President on December 12, 2012. First effective January 1, 2013.
    Amended by the President on December 5, 2014. Effective August 1, 2015.
    Amended by the Provost/President on May 2, 2022. Effective May 1, 2022.
  2. History
    Prior to 2014, guidelines and protocols were published in the Undergraduate Bulletin for students seeking permission to take courses elsewhere, entitled "Permission to Take Courses at Another Institution after Matriculation".
    Guidelines and protocols were published in the 2014-2015 Undergraduate Bulletin under Transfer Credit Policy.
    The February 2015 amendment changes the allowable grade required for credits taken elsewhere from C- to C. “C-” transfer grades, regardless of when they were earned, will not be accepted for students admitted for fall 2015 and after. For currently enrolled students, C- grades earned after summer session II 2015 will not be accepted.
    The May 2022 amendment removed the restriction on students admitted to Temple with 60 or more transfer credits, removed the restriction on courses available through the Temple distance learning program, and clarified language.

    This policy supersedes all previous policies and procedures concerning transfer credit for matriculated undergraduate students with effective dates prior to May 2022.
  3. Cross References

    Academic Residency Requirements policy published in the Undergraduate Bulletin 
    Policy #02.10.16, Leave of Absence