Permission to Complete a Course at another Institution after Matriculation
The university expects that undergraduate students who are earning a Temple degree take all (or almost all) of their courses at Temple. However, once at Temple, students in good academic standing who meet all student and course eligibility criteria are allowed to transfer credit for two summer or special session courses (up to a maximum of 8 credits) taken elsewhere toward their Temple baccalaureate degree. Students will not receive credit for courses taken at another institution while matriculated at Temple, unless prior permission is received from their school or college through their advising center. (For information on the approval process for students studying abroad, go to: https://studyabroad.temple.edu/external-programs-approval-process).
To be eligible to take courses elsewhere, the following criteria must be met:
- The student's cumulative grade point average must be 2.00 or above at the time of this petition.
- At the time of admission or reenrollment the student had fewer than 60 credits in transfer.
- The student has met the prerequisites for the course(s).
- The course cannot be available through Temple's distance learning program.
- The course cannot be a duplicate of a course for which the student has already received credit.
- The course cannot be a duplicate of a course previously attempted (earned a letter grade, failed, withdrawn or incomplete) at Temple.
- The course cannot be used to satisfy GenEd requirements.
Students must complete the "Petition to Take Courses Elsewhere" form in advance of registering at another institution. Students access the form by logging into the TUportal, selecting the Student Tools tab, and under the University Forms channel, select Permission to Take Courses Elsewhere. This form will be routed to the student's advising unit for approval.
Additional information can be found in your advising center or at https://www.temple.edu/vpus/advising/forms.html.
Students should note that:
- Credits can only be added after an official transcript is received by Temple University's Admissions Office.
- Credits will be transferred to Temple only upon the completion of the course(s) with a grade of "C" or better. See Admissions: Transfer Credit.
- Some Temple schools and colleges have additional limitations on the kind or number of transfer credits accepted.
- Students will not be approved to take courses elsewhere when they are on a Leave of Absence, unless there are extenuating circumstances.
- Transfer credit is not awarded for internships, practicums, field studies or independent studies not supervised by Temple University faculty. Students should check with their School/College academic advisor for exceptions.
- Students may also receive transfer credit for courses taken through a pre-approved study abroad program. However, students planning to receive transfer credit for courses completed on a non-Temple program must complete the form "Request for Approval to Study Abroad on a non-Temple Program" for course equivalency approvals. For information about Temple study abroad programs, see Education Abroad. For information about receiving permission to study abroad through another institution, see Study Abroad Approval Procedures for External Programs.
- Transfer credits do not affect a student's Temple grade point average.
- A student cannot receive credit for the same course twice.
- Grades earned in transfer courses cannot be used to replace grades earned in the Temple equivalent courses.
- A student will not be approved to take a course(s) at another institution if it is the third time that the student will have taken the course(s).
- Forty-five (45) of a student's last sixty (60) credits must be taken at Temple University. (Some majors have additional residency requirements.) See Academic Residency Requirements.
- To be eligible for Latin Honors at graduation, a student must complete a minimum of 60 semester hours of the program while matriculated at Temple.