Credit/No Credit Courses
Eligible students may want to take a course in an area in which they are not proficient or about which they are curious, while not risking their grade point average. Such students, with certain provisions, may be graded using the Credit/No Credit (CR/NC) grading option. Students will then receive one of three grades:
CR = Credit, equivalent to C- or above
CD = Credit with D, equivalent to D-, D, D+
NC = No Credit, equivalent to F.
Students may select the CR/NC grading option or return to the traditional grading option prior to the add/drop deadline for the Part of Term in which the course is scheduled (as published on the Academic Calendar) with the authorization of their advisor and/or dean's designee.
Eligibility is limited to:
- undergraduate matriculated students
- those in academic good standing.
Courses are restricted to:
- any non-General Education course
- one CR/NC course per semester
- maximum of four CR/NC courses toward the degree (not including any courses graded with CR/NC in Spring term 2020).
Students need to consider the following when selecting the CR/NC grading option:
- No grade points are assigned to the CR, CD, or NC grade, so they have no impact on the calculation of the grade point average.
- Semester hours earned are counted toward the total required for graduation.
- CR/CD/NC grading options are not included in calculating cumulative credits for determining academic actions specified in the Academic Standing policy # 02.10.11.
- CR/CD/NC grading options do count as an attempt as defined in the Repeating a Course policy # 02.10.12.
- CR/NC grading option may not be an appropriate option for required courses in the major due to minimum grade requirements.
- Transfer students who retake a course at Temple for which they have already received transfer credit and earned a "NC" in the Temple course, can use the transfer course to satisfy a requirement according to the School/College transfer rules.
- If a "CD" or "NC" grade is earned in a course, this course will not satisfy prerequisite requirements that require at least a C- grade.