Race & Diversity (GD)
Requirement: One 3-credit hour course.
Race & Diversity courses develop a sophisticated understanding of race and racism as dynamic concepts, pointing to the ways in which race intersects with other group identifications such as gender, class, ethnicity, religion, age, sexual orientation or disability.
Race & Diversity courses are intended to teach students how to:
- Recognize the ways in which race intersects with other group identifications or ascriptions, including gender, class, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, disability, age;
- Understand the relationships among diversity, justice and power;
- Explore what it means for individuals and institutions to exist in a multi-racial, multi-cultural world;
- Investigate the various forms race and racism has taken in different places and times; and
- Discuss race matters with diverse others in relation to personal experience.
Race & Diversity Courses
Below, you will find a list of GenEd courses in this area.
Please be advised that GenEd offerings vary from semester to semester and that all GenEd courses will not be offered every semester. For the most current list of GenEd offerings, please consult the Class Schedule.
In addition, a single GenEd course may be offered by more than one department. GenEd courses offered by more than one department will have the same course number and the same course title. A student may not take the same course from multiple departments and earn credit toward graduation. However, if a student wishes to replace their grade in a GenEd course, they may replace the grade with any course bearing the same course number and the same course title regardless of department.
- African Americans, Equality and the Law: Weapon or Tool?
- Classics of African American Theater
- Dimensions of Diversity: What's Brewing in the Melting Pot?
- Embodying Pluralism
- Ethnicity and the Immigrant Experience in the U.S.
- Immigration and the American Dream
- Kids in Crisis: When Schools Don't Work
- Politics of Identity in America
- Race & Ethnicity in American Cinema
- Race & Identity in Judaism
- Race & Poverty in the Americas
- Race, Identity and Experience in American Art
- Race in the Ancient Mediterranean
- Race on the Stage
- Representing Race
- The History & Significance of Race in America
- Honors Ethnicity and the Immigrant Experience in the U.S.
- Honors Immigration and the American Dream
- Honors Politics of Identity
- Honors Race & Ethnicity in American Cinema
- Honors Race & Identity in Judaism
- Honors Race, Identity and Experience in American Art
- Honors Race in the Ancient Mediterranean
- Honors Representing Race
- Honors: The History & Significance of Race in America