U.S. Society (GU)
Requirement: One 3-credit hour course.
GenEd U.S. Society courses strengthen students' understanding of the history, society, culture and political systems of the United States.
They are intended to teach students how to:
- Access and analyze historical, analytical, and cultural materials;
- Develop observations and conclusions about selected themes in U.S. society and culture;
- Construct interpretations using evidence and critical analysis;
- Communicate and defend interpretations; and
- Analyze the ways difference and heterogeneity have shaped the culture and society of the U.S.
U.S. Society Courses
Below, you will find a list of GenEd courses in this area.
Please be advised that GenEd offerings vary from semester to semester and that all GenEd courses will not be offered every semester. For the most current list of GenEd offerings, please consult the Class Schedule.
In addition, a single GenEd course may be offered by more than one department. GenEd courses offered by more than one department will have the same course number and the same course title. A student may not take the same course from multiple departments and earn credit toward graduation. However, if a student wishes to replace their grade in a GenEd course, they may replace the grade with any course bearing the same course number and the same course title regardless of department.
- American Military Culture AMST 0847, HIST 0847
- American Revolutions AMST 0848, HIST 0848
- Architecture and the American Cultural Landscape ARCH 0875
- Contemporary American Social Movements CSI 0801
- Dissent in America ENG 0849, HIST 0849
- Doing Justice CJ 0853
- Education in the Global City LAWU 0854
- First Person America AMST 0862
- Founding Philadelphia HIST 0867
- Gender in America GSWS 0851, SOC 0851
- Justice in America CJ 0852
- Landscape of American Thought PHIL 0824
- Law and American Society LGLS 0856
- Living for Change: Autobiographies of Women in Radical Social Movements GSWS 0863
- People, Places, and Environment CTRP 0807
- Religion in Philadelphia HIST 0876, REL 0876
- Sounds of a Revolution AMST 0864
- Sport & Leisure in American Society AAAS 0857, SOC 0857, STHM 0857
- The American Economy ECON 0858
- The Making of American Society: Melting Pot or Culture Wars? AMST 0859, HIST 0859, POLS 0859
- The United States Constitution and Popular Culture LAWU 0825
- Urban Dynamics: Global, Regional, and Local Connections GUS 0861, SOC 0861
- Why care about College: Higher Education in American Life EDAD 0855
- Honors Architecture & the American Cultural Landscape: Physical Dimensions of Cultural Settings ARCH 0975
- Honors Dissent in America ENG 0949, HIST 0949
- Honors: Doing Justice CJ 0953
- Honors: First Person America AMST 0962
- Honors: Justice in America CJ 0952
- Honors Law and American Society LGLS 0956
- Honors Sport & Leisure in American Society REL 0957
- Honors Why care about College: Higher Education in American Life EDAD 0955