The Temple Science and Mathematics Scholars Program is a 12-credit certificate program designed for college-bound high school juniors and seniors who have an interest in science or mathematics. All courses taken are offered through the College of Science and Technology (CST) and taught by CST faculty at Temple's Ambler Campus. This program allows high school students to take college-level courses in a small campus environment that will provide academic support, mentoring and advising to help foster success.
Once accepted into the program, students are required to take a math placement exam that will help determine appropriate courses. Students will engage in lectures and hands-on laboratories to earn college credit which may be eligible for transfer credit to a variety of two- and four-year colleges and universities, including bachelor's degrees at Temple from the College of Science and Technology. Courses will typically be offered in the afternoon or early evening to allow students to attend classes at their high school in the morning.
Once all courses/12 credits are successfully completed, students earn a Certificate in Specialized Studies in Science and Mathematics. Students may then continue to take higher level courses and are encouraged to apply to Temple University as an undergraduate student.
This program prepares students for future employment in fields such as health sciences, legal professions, science education, science-related business and technology, and research, and prepares students for graduate school.
- A minimum of 12 credits must be earned to receive the certificate
- High school tuition rate offered
- Classes will be offered in cohorts of approximately 15-20 students
- Prepares students for a variety of majors within the College of Science and Technology
- Opportunity to work closely with faculty mentors and academic success staff
- Spend time on a college campus
- Current 11th or 12th grade student
- GPA of 3.0 or better
- Strong attendance record
- Students must successfully complete all required courses to earn the certificate
- Permission from parent/guardian required for all minors
- Recommendation letter from high school guidance counselor or science/math faculty member
- Approval of a modified roster from current high school (if pursuing as dual enrollment)
- Communication and participation
- Professional and ethical behavior
- Willingness to learn and work hard
- Positive outlook and attitude
- Interest in the fields of science and math
Campus Location: Ambler
Program Code: UC-SSSM-CRHS
Academic and Student Services
The Certificate in Specialized Studies in Science and Mathematics requires four (4) courses and a minimum of twelve (12) credit hours.
Math and science courses are dependent upon how a student scores on the Temple University math placement exam.
|CST First Year Seminar
|Elements of Data Science for the Physical and Life Sciences
|Select one of the following:
|Select one of the following:
|STEM Challenge: The World Around Us
|STEM Challenge: The World Within
|Applications of Chemistry
|General Chemistry I
and General Chemistry Laboratory I
|Total Credit Hours