Digital Media Technologies, Minor
The Digital Media Technologies Minor is an interdisciplinary minor offered through the Department of Media Studies and Production (MSP) within the Lew Klein College of Media and Communication and the Department of Computer and Information Sciences (CIS) within the College of Science and Technology. This minor is designed to expand students' knowledge of the information age and enable them to share communications over the internet using fast evolving, emerging technologies.
The minor is available to undergraduate students in Media Studies and Production, Computer & Information Science, as well as other departments and colleges. Upon completion of the minor, students should be able to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Use technology to integrate internet content with computers and mobile devices.
- Design and implement content for various digital media, utilizing database technologies.
- Critically analyze decisions made regarding the use of technology, specifically in the social and ethical domains.
- Understand the impact of current and emerging technologies on communications, both locally and globally.
- Create effective written communications make professional presentations.
- Analyze and solve problems efficiently.
Transfer credits are not accepted for credit for the minor.
Sally Kyvernitis, CIS Faulty Advisor
Science Education and Research Center, Room 330
Hector Postigo, MSP Faculty Advisor
Annenberg Hall, Room 115
- Students with a GPA of 2.00 or more may declare this minor by contacting either CST advising (215-204-2890) or Klein advising (215-204-5273). See additional Grade Requirements below.
- Three (3) of the Digital Media Technologies minor courses must be distinct from the student's major. Students should see their CST or Klein advisor for course substitutions.
- Students without a CIS background should begin their CIS courses in their Junior year or earlier.
|Two Required MSP Courses:|
|Select one of the following:||3-4|
|Introduction to Media Production|
|Intermediate Video Production 1|
|Audio for Media 1|
|MSP 2741||Introduction to Internet Studies and Web Authoring 1||3|
|Two Required CIS Courses:|
|Select two courses from the following:||8|
|Introduction to Web Technology and Programming|
|Advanced Web Technology and Programming|
|Mobile Computing Technologies 1|
|Web Application Programming 1|
|Server-Side Web Application Development 1|
|Client-Side Scripting for the Web 1|
|Introduction to Mobile Application Development 1|
|One CIS elective and one MSP elective are required. However, MSP students may choose two CIS electives instead and CIS students may choose two MSP electives instead.|
|Select two courses from the following:||7-9|
|MSP Elective Options|
|Emergent Media Production|
|Information Technology Policy 1|
|Law and Ethics of Digital Media|
|Creating a Media Business|
|CIS Elective Options|
|Mobile Computing Technologies 1,2|
any other CIS 2000+ level course 1
|Total Credit Hours||21-24|
This course requires additional prerequisites outside of the Digital Media Technology Minor coursework.
May satisfy a CIS Elective only if CIS 2305 was not taken as a Required CIS Course.
- All prerequisites must be completed to enroll in minor courses or permission from both the faculty advisor and instructor must be obtained prior to registration.
- Minor credit is not given for grades below C-.
- Students must maintain at least a 2.00 grade point average in the program to successfully complete this minor.
At least 4 courses required for the minor must be completed at Temple. At least 2 CIS courses and at least 2 MSP courses must be completed at Temple.