Middle Grades Education
Shimada Resource Center
College of Education and Human Development
150 Ritter Annex
1301 Cecil B. Moore Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19122
The Bachelor of Science in Education in Middle Grades Education prepares undergraduate students for middle level teaching (fourth to eighth grades). Middle grades teachers, particularly in math and science education, are increasingly sought out and in high-demand in Pennsylvania as well as across the country.
The College of Education and Human Development program in Middle Grades Education is designed to ensure not only that there are certified teachers to fill the growing vacancies, but that our students graduate highly knowledgeable about learning and teaching as well as committed to pre/adolescent learners from diverse ethnic, economic and geographic backgrounds. To that end, our program focuses on building deep content-specific pedagogical knowledge aligned to the breadth of academic standards and the wide-ranging developmental needs of middle grades students. To develop a strong link between learning theories and actual pedagogical practice, we also require that our students engage in early, often and strategic field/clinical education experiences in middle grades settings.
Our program stands out as cutting-edge because we prepare undergraduate students to teach in both the upper elementary and middle grades classrooms.
In addition to becoming certified to teach all elementary subjects in 4-6th grades, all Middle Grades Education students will pursue either single or dual certification for 7-8th grades in one of the following concentrations:
- Language Arts
- Mathematics and Language Arts
- Mathematics and Science
- Science and Language Arts
- Social Studies
In order to maintain good standing in Middle Grades Education, students must maintain a 3.0 cumulative grade point average and a 2.0 grade point average in the course work in their concentration areas.
- Middle Grades Education / Language Arts Concentration
- Middle Grades Education / Mathematics and Language Arts Concentration
- Middle Grades Education / Mathematics and Science Concentration
- Middle Grades Education / Mathematics Concentration
- Middle Grades Education / Science and Language Arts Concentration
- Middle Grades Education / Science Concentration
- Middle Grades Education / Social Studies Concentration