Social Work Minor
The Social Work Minor is a great complement to majors such as criminal justice, psychology, education, pharmacy, and other allied disciplines.
The Social Work Minor introduces students to the knowledge, values, and skills necessary to
- comprehend the structures and functions of the field of social work;
- develop a more informed position on social policy issues;
- appreciate the economic, social, political, ethical and epistemological challenges that societies and their citizens face in responding to basic human needs;
- grasp the critical importance of social capital to communities and the larger society;
- become actively involved in helping to address social needs; and
- broaden and further enhance their professional career paths.
The Social Work minor consists of nine courses (23 credit hours), all of which are offered at the Main campus. The courses explore the following social work knowledge domains:
- Social policy development in historical, political, and economic context (SSWU 2003);
- Social problems and social policy analysis (SSWU 2004);
- Theories of human behavior within the context of the social environment (SSWU 3007);
- Helping processes across systems of all sizes (SSWU 3005, SSWU 3015, SSWU 3006, SSWU 3016);
- Verbal, non-verbal and written communication skills (SSWU 1002); and
- Institutional racism or group dynamics (SSWU 3096 or SSWU 3011).
Professional and faculty advisors in the school or college in which the student is currently majoring are available to help students interested in adding a social work minor to their program of study.
Courses must be taken in the following order:
|SSWU 1002||Communication in Social Work Practice||3|
|SSWU 2003||The History and Values of Social Welfare||3|
|SSWU 2004||Social Welfare in the United States||3|
|SSWU 3005||Helping Processes in Social Work I||3|
|SSWU 3015||Lab for Helping Processes in Social Work I||1|
|SSWU 3006||Helping Processes in Social Work II||3|
|SSWU 3016||Lab for Helping Processes in Social Work II||1|
|SSWU 3007||Human Behavior in the Social Environment||3|
|SSWU 3096||Institutional Racism||3|
|or SSWU 3011||The Social Worker in the Group|
|Total Credit Hours||23|